Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A yummy scone for breakfast or a snack. I use instant cappucino powder in mine.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup toffee pieces
- 1 tablespoon espresso (or cappuccinopowder)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- caramel ice cream topping (optional)
- Cut butter with flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- Fold in toffee bits and instant cappuccino. Make a well in the dry
- ingredients. Put bowl in freezer for 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and cream. Pour into dry ingredients in
- the chilled bowl. Mix with a fork.
- Make two balls on wax paper. Dough will be dry. Pat each ball into a circle 1 inch thick. Score triangles into dough. Do not separate.
- Bake on cookie sheet at 400 degrees F (200 C) for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 300 degrees F (148-150 degrees C) and bake 10 more minutes.
- When scones are cool, drizzle caramel ice cream topping over them, if desired.
Somehow these scones came out tasting more cake-like in texture than I expected. Nice flavor. Very buttery and not too sweet. After cooled, I drizzled on some maple icing and sprinkled on some chopped pecans.