Recipe by bluemoon downunder
We are all familiar with toffee apples. Why not toffee grapes? An unusual and scrumptious, low calorie, NO FAT addition to the cheese platter for those willing to try something a little bit different, and those not afraid to mix sweet and savoury. This recipe appeared in the November 2005 issue of 'Australian Good Taste'. It recommends these grapes as an ideal accompaniment to strong cheeses such as gorgonzola, and suggests serving them with a sparkling Shiraz. The preparation and cooking times do not include the 10 minutes setting time. I have two other toffeed fruit recipes posted: Chinatown Toffeed Figs and Toffeed Apples.
Top Review by HokiesMom
blue - this is a fabulous recipe!! I used these grapes to garnish a cheese tray at my DD's wedding shower. They were absolutely perfect. I used green and red seedless grapes. The toffee mixture cooked to perfection following your instructions - no adjustments at all were needed. Thanks for helping make the cheese platter look lovely using this recipe for Toffee Grapes. Just delightful. Made for you win in Tag it Green in 123 Hits.
- 100 g bunch green grapes, washed and dried
- 100 g bunch black grapes, washed and dried
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- blue cheese, to serve
- cheddar cheese, to serve
- brie cheese, to serve
- gorgonzola, to serve
- water biscuits or sliced baguette or your choice bread, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper; and using kitchen scissors, cut the grapes into small bunches of 3-6 grapes.
- Combine the sugar and water in a heavy-based saucepan and stir over a low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to medium and gently boil, without stirring, occasionally brushing down the sides of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in water, for 12-15 minutes or until golden, then set the toffee mixture aside until the bubbles have reduced.
- Using kitchen tongs to hold the stem (or if your tongs are too large for this job, a pair of tweezers), gently dip a grape cluster into the toffee mixture and turn it evenly to ensure that it is fully coated. Transfer the grapes to the prepared tray. Repeat with the remaining grapes and toffee mixture. Set aside for 10 minutes or until the toffee sets.
- Arrange the grapes on a cheese board with the assorted cheeses of your choice. And serve with water biscuits, Oaten Biscuits Recipe #144738 and bread slices.