Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
What's not to like about toffee? Added to the wonderful texture of a cream puff and you have a wonderful treat! Recipe from Land O Lakes.
- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds (optional)
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups toffee pieces
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Line baking sheet with kitchen parchment paper.
- Draw one (9-inch) circle on parchment sheet, turning over parchment so marking shows through.
- Combine 1 cup water, butter, sugar and salt in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a full boil (4 to 6 minutes).
- Remove from heat; beat in flour.
- Stir until dough forms a ball.
- Return to heat.
- Cook, stirring vigorously, until mixture leaves sides of pan and forms a ball (1 to 2 minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- Let cool 5 minutes.
- Add 4 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, until batter is smooth.
- Whisk remaining egg and 1 teaspoon water in small bowl to make egg wash.
- Set aside.
- Place dough in pastry bag fitted with star tip; pipe 9-inch circle onto prepared baking sheet.
- Pipe 3 concentric circles next to and inside first circle making ring.
- Pipe second layer of circles on top of first until all dough is used.
- Brush top and sides with egg wash; (Do not to let egg run onto parchment.)
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375°F
- Continue baking for 30 minutes.
- Turn off heat.
- Leave ring in oven for 15 minutes with oven door ajar.
- Remove from oven; cool completely on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, beat whipping cream in large bowl at high speed, scraping bowl often, until stiff peaks form (2 to 3 minutes).
- Gently stir in toffee chips.
- Slice ring in half horizontally.
- Remove excess dough filaments.
- Fill bottom half with whipped cream mixture; cover with top half of ring.
- To serve, cut into wedges.