Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A tasty new way to serve your cream of wheat! If you like it sweeter just add some additional sugar.
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cream of wheat
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- additional milk, if desired
- Combine cream of wheat, the 3/4 cup milk and pinch of salt in microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir.
- Microwave 1 to 2 minutes more, stirring once.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- In a small skillet heat the almonds, butter and sugar until the nuts are golden.
- Pour over cream of wheat.
- Top with additional milk if desired, and serve.
UmmmMmmm...yummy! DH and I enjoy having hot cooked cereal for breakfast in the mornings, but sometimes they get to be humdrum. This certainly was not that! Although it took a little more effort than plain jane cereal, it was worth every bit of it. The only thing I will do differently the next time is to cook it on the stovetop, rather than in the microwave as we just don't care for cereal cooked in the microwave as well as on the stovetop, but we sure do like to use milk to replace the water! I suspect this would also be good in oatmeal, cream of rice and probably even malt-o-meal (my favorite!). Thank you for a great idea Michelle.
This was great. I don't normally go for flavored cereals but this was very good. I did make a couple of changes. First, instead of opening a new bag of almonds I used some pecans that were already opened. Second, I am diabetic so I used Splenda brown sugar in place of the sugar since I wasn't sure that Splenda would brown like sugar.
My husband likes Cream of Wheat and I am not to fond of it so I am always looking for ways to prepare it so we both like it. This was a good one. The topping made this dish for me. I gave it 5 stars because it made cream of wheat taste good to me. Thanks Michelle S. Bullwinkle.