Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 5 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup rolled oats, regular or quick cooking
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup Skor English toffee bit
- 1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Lightly grease 2 baking sheets Combine sugars, vanilla, egg, butter and shortening in a large mixing bowl; beat until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, oats, salt and baking soda; add to sugar mixture, and blend completely.
- Add toffee bits and chocolate chips to dough, and mix well.
- Drop teaspoons of batter onto baking sheets, spacing dough about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place. Makes about 40 cookies.
Excellent cookie, just needs to be changed a little, instead of 3/4 c. flour and rolled oats. I used 1 c. each. I also reduced the vanilla to 1 t. and then I am not a chocolate fan, so I use 1/2 c. of peanut butter chips and 1/2 c. of white chocolate chips. They turned out great. Held there shape like a chocloate chip cookie.
My oldest DD made these with DH for an upcoming bake sale, and though she said they are worth 5 stars I had to override her decision. Her first batch spread out so thin that all the cookies broke as she tried to scrape them off the non-stick cookie sheet. She then added a bit more flour to the second batch and though they didn't break into pieces when coming off the pan they are still so thin around the edges (much like a lace cookie) that they will not hold up well for a bake sale. She is keeping her fingers crossed that the giant cookie she baked in a small disposable foil casserole pan turned out so that she can sell it by the slice.
I had the same problem. I don't know why I didn't read the reviews before I used this recipe. These cookies taste GREAT, but they're flat as a pancake and I had to literally scrape them off the pan and couldn't include them in my "Christmas Cookie" giveaways. I was thinking of chopping them up and putting it in holiday bags along with some M&M's and mixed nuts, but never got around to it. DH & I just at the crumbs.