Recipe by Spoongal
A decadent, grown-up bar cookie
Top Review by Mirj
Just finished making a batch of these and they are so divine I am going to hide them where no one else can get at them but me. I have a hoard of Skor bars that I brought back from the States, and this recipe looked like it was worth breaking into my stash, and it is! My only changes to the recipe were to ground the pecans finely (that's how we like them) and for the coffee portion I used the Taster's Choice Vanilla flavored coffee, and it was intense, and really made these bars sing. Spoongal, these were astounding, thanks so much for the extra kilos I'm going to gain with these ;-)
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) box yellow cake mix (2 layer size)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup strong coffee, cool
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 32 unwrapped caramels
- 1⁄4 cup strong coffee
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 1⁄2 cup crushed chocolate-covered english toffee bar (such as Skor or Heath)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, oil, coffee, chocolate chips and eggs.
- Press half the mixture into the bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake 8 minutes.
- In the top of a double boiler, heat the butter, caramels, coffee, and condensed milk until caramels are melted.
- Pour over partially baked crust.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup pecans.
- Drop the remaining cookie dough by small spoonfuls over the caramel layer.
- Sprinkle with chopped toffee bars and remaining 1/2 cup pecans.
- Bake an additional 25-30 minutes.
- Coll and cut into squares.