Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Recipe taken from "Bon Appetit", January 1991
- 354.88 ml graham cracker crumbs
- 88.74 ml unsalted butter, melted
- 59.14 ml dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 907.18 g cream cheese, room temp
- 5 large eggs, room temp
- 9.85 ml fresh lemon juice
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 12.32 ml vanilla
- 295.73 ml sugar
- 78.07 ml water
- 236.59 ml whipping cream
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, room temp
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 177.44 ml whipping cream
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 120.48 g chocolate-covered english toffee bars, in pieces (Heath or Skor)
- For Crust:.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly butter inside of 9" springform pan with 2 3/4" high sides.
- Combine crumbs, butter, and brown sugar in small bowl.
- Press crumbs over bottom and 1" up sides of pan.
- Refrigerate crust.
- For Filling:.
- Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese in large bowl until fluffy.
- Add sugar and beat until smooth.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time.
- Mix in vanilla and fresh lemon juice.
- Pour filling into prepared crust.
- Bake until cake rises about 1/2" over rim and center moves only slightly when pan is shaken, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Cool on rack. (Cake will fall as it cools, sinking in center.).
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 6 hours.
- For Topping:.
- Heat sugar and water in heavy medium saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and boil without stirring until mixture is rich caramel color, occasionally swirling and washing down sides of pan with brush dipped into cold water, about 8 minute.
- Reduce heat to very low.
- Add cream (mixture will bubble up) and stir until smooth.
- Mix in butter.
- Cool slightly.
- Mix in vanilla.
- Using small sharp knife, cut around sides of pan to loosen cake.
- Release pan sides.
- Pour 2/3 Celsius caramel sauce into center of cake.
- Cover remaining caramel sauce and let stand at room temperature.
- Chill cake until caramel topping is almost set, about 2 hours.
- Whip 3/4 Celsius cream with 2 tablespoons sugar in medium bowl until firm peaks form.
- Spoon cream into pastry bag fitted with star tip.
- Pipe cream decoratively around edge of cake.
- Arrange toffee pieces in whipped cream border.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Pass remaining caramel sauce separately.