Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
A baked-on chocolate-nut topping gives this brown sugar cake a crisp self-frosting. Cut into generous chunks, it will be a hit at a picnic or potluck.
- Soak top and bottom of 3 1/4-quart (3.25 L) clay cooker in water about 15 minutes; drain. Pat dry and grease bottom and sides of cooker. Line cooker with parchment paper cut to fit bottom only.
- Mix flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt in large mixer bowl. Cut in 3/4 cup (180 mL) butter until mixture forms fine crumbs; remove and reserve 1 cup (250 mL) of the flour mixture.
- Add milk and vanilla to remaining flour mixture in bowl; mix until blended. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Spread batter in cooker.
- Cut 3 tablespoons ( 45 mL) butter into reserved flour mixtures; stir in nuts and chocolate shot. Sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Place covered cooker in cold oven. Set oven at 350 F or 180°C Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours. Cool in cooker on wire rack. Cut into bars or squares.