Recipe by Barb G.
This is my favorite candy, also the favorite of other family members. They look forward to me making it every year. It also makes great gifts. Is very easy to make, I have been making it for a long time. The recipe comes from one of my Better Homes and Gardens cookbooks.
- 1⁄2 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or 3⁄4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup finely crushed toasted almond
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle the 1/2 cup of sliced toasted almonds on the bottom of a buttered cookie sheet (I cover the cookie sheet with release foil for easy candy removal and easy clean up.
- Butter the sides of a 2-quart saucepan; melt the 1 cup of butter, add the sugar, water and corn syrup.
- Cook over medium heat to 290°F (soft crack stage) watch carefully after 280°F so it won't scorch, stirring frequently (mixture should boil gently over entire surface).
- Remove from heat; immediately turn into prepared pan & spread, (Best to use a cookie sheet).
- Wait 2 to 3 minutes for toffee surface to firm.
- Then sprinkle with chocolate chips; Let stand 1 to 2 minutes; When chocolate is softened, Spread over TOFFEE.
- Sprinkle with the finely crushed almonds,Chill till firm, Break ito pieces, Makes about 1 1/2 pounds, ENJOY.