You can make your own (nut free) toffee really simply! It's fast too - it takes longer to wash up! Serving size is for 1/4 cup.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- Combine the butter and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook until the mixture reaches 305F on an instant-read thermometer (hard-crack stage). Stir occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and pour onto the parchment, spreading thinly.
- Cool completely - about 4 hours - then break into bits.
- Store in an airtight container.