Recipe by Bev
From the Virginia Hospitality Cookbook.
Top Review by Donna Matthews
I have been making these cookies for Christmas for ages. I think the original recipe was in a Betty Crocker cookbook. If I want a chewier cookie, I spread the dough in a 9 x 13 pan and bake for 25 minutes. I have tried different chocolates from Hersheys milk chocolate to Ghiradelli bittersweet. My favorite is a 12 ounce package of Nestle semi-sweet morsels. I had a problem with the Ghiradelli chocolate cracking off the cookie base like a layer of shale. In this case, the cheaper chocolate seems to do better.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 ounces milk chocolate
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in egg yolk.
- Ad flour gradually, stirring only to blend.
- Add vanilla.
- Spread about 1/4 inch thick in lightly buttered 10 x 15" jelly-roll pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and while still hot distribute chocolate on top.
- When chocolate is soft, spread smoothly over surface.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- While still warm, cut into bars.