Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
The addition of rolled oats makes this bar truly unique. From a 1950's cookbook and a family favorite since way back when!
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup uncooked rolled oats
- 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Into a large bowl place the sugars, shortening, vanilla, salt, eggs, and beat with a spoon. When thoroughly mixed add flour and then oats.
- Pour batter into a greased 11X7 baking pan. Bake 45 minutes or until done.
- Melt semisweet pieces and spread on top of cooled cake. Sprinkle with nuts and cut into bars.
My mother made these and everyone in the family still loves them. I am 70 now and making them today for my husband. Never have changed anything. Its quick, simple and delicious. I am so pleased to see this recipe here because I've only seen it in my mother's personal cookbook.
I made these for the DS to take to his music recreation group were they were enjoyed. I used butter for the shortening and used a 10 x 10 pan and baked at 175C fan forced oven for 25 minutes., left the slice whole for it to be cut into the sizes they wanted at the recreation group. Thank you Julie B's Hive., made for Swap #37 February 2010.