Recipe by YoungMamaChef
Almost like old-fashioned toffee candy. Found in my grandmother's cookbook.
Top Review by Baby Kato
My dh really enjoyed this crisp and tender bar. It had a nice toffee flavor and was full of chocolate chips. This very sweet bar has an interesting texture and tastes good. Thanks so much for sharing.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (imitation worked fine)
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate piece (Or one 6-ounce package)
- 1 cup chopped california walnut (optional, cookies are just as good without walnuts)
Directions See How It's Made
- Thoroughly cream together butter, sugar, and vanilla. Add flour, mix well. Stir in chocolate and walnuts.
- Press mixture into ungreased 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan. (Square brownie pans work, too. You'll end up with square cookies but my family loves them.).
- Bake in moderate oven (350ºF) 25 minutes or until browned. While still warm, cut in bars or squares. Cool before removing from pan.
- (Makes small 5 dozen with jelly-roll pan or 9 large square cookies in brownie pan).