Recipe by CJ Berry
My husband found this recipe several years ago in a the newspaper. It has become a Christmas tradition at our house every year since. Sometimes my husband fixes these other times throughout the year for a special family treat!
Top Review by nranger7
Very easy. The ones I made were all right, but not as good as I thought they'd be. I think the oats I used are really old which is affecting the taste. I'll have to buy some fresh and try again...
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup oats
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1⁄2 cup flour (unsifted)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (finely chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (6 ounce) package chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large saucepan, melt 6 T. butter; stir in oats, brown sugar, flour, nuts, and baking soda.
- Pat firmly onto bottom of greased 13x9-inch baking pan; bake 10 minute.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan combine remaining butter and sweetened condensed milk.
- Over medium heat, cook and stir until mixture slightly thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Pour over crust; return to oven and bake 10- 15 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven; immediately sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
- Let stand 1 minute; spread chips while still warm.
- Cool to room temperature; chill in refrigerator.
- Cut into bars store, tightly covered, at room temperature.
- Yields approximately 48 bars.