Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Be prepared for requests for seconds!
- 9 ounces dark brown sugar
- 7 ounces heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon almond liqueur
- 6 bananas, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- Place sugar in a small saucepan and just cover with water.
- Heat, over medium heat, and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Then STOP STIRRING and bring to a fast boil until the sugar caramelizes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool down, then slowly add the cream and the liqueur; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare the bananas just before serving so they won't discolour.
- Pour the sauce over the bananas and sprinkle over some chopped nuts.
This is wonderful! So very easy, and my goodness, it's a very impressive dessert! I didn't change anything here, it's perfect the way it's written. This is definitly dinner party quality. Thanks, Miller!
Do you know how to make an expatriate Brit homesick? Serve him some of Miller's Toffee Bananas! I made this for my BH (British Husband/Better Half) last night. It's supposed to serve 4, but it served my BH, and I got to have a few bites of my portion before he inhaled that as well. So the recipe serves 4, or one hungry Brit. I didn't change a thing, except next time, I will triple the quantities. Thanks Miller, you were right on the mark!
I had only light brown sugar so I used white sugar and 2 1/2 TBSP of molasses...I also didn't have any almond liqueur so I used almond extract... I tried it when it was still warm and then tried it cold...The cold in my view was much better...I'll use this recipe again and leave out the almond...Nice little dessert...