Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
The caramel topping gives this tart a wonderfull flavor. It can be made in a tart mold with removable bottom or a regular pie plate. Use a ready made pie crust or check out "No-Roll Pie Crust Dough" for an easy pie dough. Either way, it is sweet and delicious and looks great, sure to impress your guests. Serve with lightly sweetened whipping cream and for an over the top dessert, with vanilla ice cream! Adapted from the book "Perfect Baking" by Parragon Publishers.
- butter, for greasing the form
- 1 ready-made pie crust
- flour, for dusting
For the filling
- 3 lbs firm apples, peeled and cored
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- Lightly grease a 9 inch, loose - bottom fluted tart pan.
- Roll out the pie dough on a lightly floured counter and line the pan with it.
- Then roll the rolling pin over the pan to trim the excess dough. Or fit the dough into a pie plate and crimp the edges.
- Put a piece of parchment paper into the tart shell and fill with dried beans (or baking pebbles). Let chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes then bake for 10 minutes in a preheated oven, 375F/190°C.
- Remove the beans and the paper and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take 4 apples, cut each into 8 pieces and toss in the lemon juice. Melt the butter in a skillet and saute the apple pieces until just starting to brown and caramelize on the edges. Remove from skillet and let cool.
- Slice the remaining apples thinly, put them in a pan with the superfine sugar and cook for about 20 minutes, until soft.
- Spoon into the tart shell and arrange the reserved apple pieces on top in a circle. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Put the granulated sugar and water in a pan and heat until the sugar dissolves. Boil to form a caramel.
- Remove from the heat and add the cream, stirring constantly to combine into toffee.
- Remove the tart/pie from the oven, pour the toffee over the apples and let chill for an hour.