Recipe by Mirj
I was invited to friends for dinner on Rosh Hashana and was told to bring dessert. I decided to invent this trifle, along with the help of some very good Zaar folk in the Q&A thread. I want to thank Terese, PetitFour, Jules, CCLady, ann teapot, Iron Bloomers, Charishma, evelyn/athens, MarieAlice, HeatherFeather, joni g, Mrs Beeton wannabe, Dancer, Amy - Ellie''s mommie, Bergy, Watermelon and Ann Marie F for all their wonderful input. This dessert was a hit!
- 2 loaves poundcake (plain is best)
- 6 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 14 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 bag hershey Skor English toffee bit (or Heath chips)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the various layers of the trifle so they are all ready to assemble together.
- Slice the pound cakes down the middle length-wise, then slice each loaf into 10-12 slices, resulting in 20-24 cubes per loaf, a maximum of 48 cubes.
- Saute the apples in the butter until soft.
- Add the cinnamon and mix well to coat all the apple slices.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the whipping cream, cream cheese, honey and vanilla pudding.
- Toss the Skor bits into the food processor and whirl until finely chopped.
- Now assemble the trifle in a large clear bowl with straight (ish) sides.
- This makes a large quantity so you may have up to three layers.
- First lay down a layer of cake cubes Then cover with the sauteed apples.
- Then cover with a generous layer of whipped cream.
- Then sprinkle with a layer of ground Skor bits.
- Repeat the layers until all the ingredients have been used up, ending in a layer of Skor bits.
- Note: I actually had more cake than necessary, so I had a layer of cake and cream in the middle before starting over with another layer of cake.