Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are something new that I have recently started making. They usually don't hang around the house long enough, the kids all converge on these squares like hungry lions around a zebra.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups almonds, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For the crust: Combine all the crust ingredients, mixing until crumbly.
- Press firmly into 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake in a 350F (180C) oven for 10 minutes.
- To make the filling: Combine the corn syrup, brown sugar, butter, and cream in a medium saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture boils.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in almonds and vanilla.
- Pour over the crust, spreading evenly.
- Bake in a 350F (180C) oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into triangles, bars or squares.
- Store in the fridge.