Recipe by hotmomma Temple
had to make a square to take to a baby shower this afternoon and needed a quick one (it was 12:30 & the shower was at 2:00) so i opened my community cookbook and thought i'd give this one a try, it was a success everyone loved it and the couple pieces i managed to save for my husband he loved.
Top Review by PaNik
Wow, these could be addicting. A few of the directions were unclear, but I did what I thought sounded best and I am now in heaven. Salt is listed twice for the crust. I used about a tsp of salt and a half a tsp of baking powder. Also, the topping has "syrup" - I assumed this was maple syrup but later realized it could be corn syrup. I used pure maple syrup. I used vanilla since that is what the recipe calls for, but I wonder how almond extract would work...Also, it says to watch closely during at about 12 to 15 minutes of cooking, but it doesn't say what to watch for. I waited until it was just about firm. I give the end result five stars!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup syrup
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- combine all ingred's, mixing well until crumbly.
- Press firmly into 9 by 13 pan.
- Bake 10 mins at 350 degrees F.
- combine syrup, sugar, butter and milk in med.
- Cook and stir over med.
- heat until mixture boils, about 3 minutes Remove from heat and add nuts and vanilla.
- Pour over crust, spread evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes Watch this closely, in my oven it actually only took about 12 minutes Cut when cool and store in fridge.
- Servings it yielded is just a guess, it depends how big your squares are and i never counted.