Recipe by Sharlene~W
I love toffee and this is a great recipe. You can make it with or without the chocolate--good either way. This recipe is from a Good Housekeeping cookbook.
Top Review by Kitchenette
Very good. The texture is lighter and softer than other almond toffees I've made, but still very good -- and easy on the teeth! I used semi-sweet chips rather than chopped chocolate and omitted the shortening altogether. I made this recipe for a toffee-loving friend, who gave it high marks.
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 2 cups blanched slivered almonds, lightly toasted and finely chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly grease 15-1/2 x 10 1/2-inch jelly-roll pan.
- In heavy 2-quart saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, and water; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar has dissolved and syrup is bubbling.
- Stir in butter.
- Set candy thermometer in place and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until temperature reaches 300° to 310° (hard crack stage), about 20 minutes.
- (Once temperature reaches 220° things move quickly, so watch very carefully!) Remove from heat.
- Reserving 1/3 cup almonds, stir remaining 1 2/3 cups almonds into hot syrup.
- Immediately pour hot mixture into prepared pan; working quickly, with two forks, spread mixture evenly.
- Cool candy completely in pan on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in heave 1-quart saucepan, melt unsweetened and semisweet chocolates and shortening over low heat, stirring, until smooth.
- Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Lift out candy, in one piece, and place on cutting board.
- With narrow metal spatula, spread warm chocolate evenly over candy; sprinkle with reserved 1/3 cup almonds, gently pressing them into chocolate.
- Let stand until chocolate has set, about 1 hour.
- Use sharp knife to help break hardened candy into pieces.
- Layer between waxed paper in an airtight container.