Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another recipe I found in a "Taste of Home" magazine while searching for something different for my Holiday Cookie tray. These little layered treats have a buttery bottom and soft toffee top with a sprinkle of almonds. Sweet, so I gut in small squares, but very good. Hope you try them and like them too. Edited to update thanks to the review. Must have been typing to many posts and forgot the all important flour.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups butterscotch chips
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar.
- Beat in egg yolk, vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Stir in flour.
- Spread evenly into a greased 13 inch x 9 inch x 2 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl, combine butterscotch chips, corn syrup, shortening, water and remaining salt.
- Cover and microwave at 50% power until chips are melted, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Spread over crust.
- Sprinkle with almonds - lightly pressing into mixture.
- Refrigerate until set before cutting.
- Yields about 4 dozen.
Ingredients list does not include flour quantity. Very dificult to follow a recipe when it doesn't have all the ingredients listed.