Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A wonderful home-made,old fashioned treat that always gets rave reviews. After making this sweet treat, be prepared to start handing out the recipe!
- 1 lb butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup pecans (chopped)
- 6 Hershey chocolate candy bars (full size candy bars)
- Grind up pecans and set aside.
- Break up the Hershey Bars along the scored lines of the candy bar. Take all the broken up chocolate pieces and break in half again. You want to have small bite size pieces.
- Spread pecans and chocolate pieces evenly over a raised side cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. I usually save a little bit of the chocolate to sprinkle on top of the toffee mixture.
- Add butter, sugar and water to a heavy 4 quart sauce pan. Boil on high to 300 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Pour mixture over pecans and chocolate. If you reserved any chocolate from step 3, sprinkle it on top of the toffee mixture.
- Set aside to cool.
- When toffee has hardened, break up into pieces and store in a air-tight container.
Mine taste delicious but are real buttery on the top and the Hershey base is soft making them messy to eat. I am going to put it in the frige and see what happens.
This was excellent, really easy to make. I used 1 cup of butter instead of a whole pound and semi-sweet baking squares instead of candy bars, and it turned out great.
This is the first time I ever made toffee. The recipe was fast and simple. My family really loves it. Thanks for sharing recipe.