This recipe is based on my mother's Russian Tea recipe. I serve this at every Christmas party I host. I don't know why this beverage is called "Russian Tea." However, many people in rural North Carolina make a version of it around the winter holidays.
- Place 3 qts of water in a large pot, and add cloves and cinnamon sticks.
- Bring water to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and place a mesh tea-infusion basket of tea (or 3 teabags) into the pot. Steep tea for only 5 minutes.
- After removing the tea-infusion basket or teabags, add sugar to the pot and stir until it dissolves.
- Add cans of concentrate, plus 2 qts of water.
- Bring the whole mixture up to temperature and serve hot.
- This tea refrigerates well for a few days with the cloves and cinnamon sticks removed. Always serve hot, though.