The Amaze-Ing Me's Note:
My toddler won't eat his veggies...yes, I've tried repeatedly with various items. A friend suggested making smoothies and putting veggies in it. I poo poo'd it (to myself) until I FINALLY tried it last week. Needless to say, he's had (AND FINISHED) smoothies every day. I've given him kale, spinach, carrots, and sweet peas so far. I now buy a bunch of frozen fruits, berries, and veggies and keep them in the freezer. When I feel Mr. Picky needs a shot of veggies I make him one of these smoothies and he usually gobbles it up. However, depending on your child and which combo you choose to put in there he may reject it. Experiment and enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup whole milk (kids need their fats)
- 1 whole banana, peeled (hehe, obvious)
- 1 tablespoon honey or 1 tablespoon sugar or 1 tablespoon other artificial sweetener
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt or 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
Frozen Add-ins can be any of the following
- 1Pour milk into the blender.
- 2Add banana, sugar/honey/other, and then whatever frozen veggies AND a fruit to the blender. ***The key is you want to not go higher than halfway up a 5 cup blender or it gets too thick. Add milk or OJ if it gets too thick.
- 3Put blender on a high setting and let it go at it for a good minute or two. Pulse a few times to make sure it's at the "right" consistency (too your liking).
- 4Serve in a toddler friendly container--preferably something with a STRAW as they a) like straws and b) it helps with the intake of the smoothie. Do NOT put it in a sippy cup. Last warning -- my son had fresh kale in the first 3-4 of these I made and had some wicked black poo for days. Lets just say that was the end of the kale episode. ;).
Browse Our Top Smoothies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Toddler " Hidden Veggie" Smoothie
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 214.5
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 16.1 mg
- Sodium 110.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 25.4 g
- Protein 8.0 g