Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Mom's Money Saving Cookbook, Glendale Federal Savings and Loan Association. I love the horseradish and mustard in this meatloaf with the yummy ketchup taste! This makes great sandwiches for the next day.
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup minced green pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup (to mix in loaf)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup (for top)
- Slightly beat eggs.
- Lightly mix in chuck, crumbs, onions and pepper.
- Add horseradish, salt, mustard, milk and 1/4 c ketchup.
- Stir lightly but thoroughly.
- Place shaped meatloaf on shallow baking dish.
- Spread over top 1/2 c ketchup.
- Bake 50 minutes at 400.
- Spoon some hot juice over meat loaf when serving.
This is very tasty, but is too salty. I added more onions in place of the peppers, since I we don't eat those... and I used 4 slices of bread, crumbled it, and baked it in the oven to make the two cups of fresh breadcrumbs. I added a little bit of the traditional dry stuff you buy at the store, just to top it off! If you cut back on the salt a little bit, it will be perfect! It was very moist, and rather easy to make. Thank you!