Recipe by Karen in MA
Traditionally served with buttered potatoes garnished with parsley, this version cooks the entire meal in the slow cooker. If you have extra time, marinate meat overnight in red wine, crushed garlic, fresh cracked pepper, fresh thyme, chopped carrots and onions, then pat dry before serving. If you want a thicker sauce, mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water or stock. You can also exclude the potatoes and serve over buttered noodles or spatzle.
Top Review by rssb1228
Wonderful! We added more wine towards the end, and extra mushrooms. I skipped the pearl onions because I didn't have them in the house. And as I started this a little late in the day it cooked on high in the crock pot for a few less hours. But it was wonderful! The meat was tender, the potatoes and vegetables perfect. This is a keeper - adaptable and delicious.
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 1⁄2 cups pinot noir wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 slices thick cut bacon, cut into 1/8 inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped (approximately 3 cups)
- 3 -4 medium red potatoes, cut each into 8 pieces (approximately 3-4 cups)
- 5 medium carrots, 1/2 pieces (approximately 2 cups)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 0.5 (14 ounce) bagfrozen white pearl onions, slightly thawed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes in bottom of slow cooker.
- Season beef with salt and pepper, dust with flour and set aside.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium-high heat until most of the fat is rendered. Remove with slotted spoon to slow cooker.
- Brown meat in bacon fat, working in batches if necessary. Remove meat to slow cooker.
- Heat olive oil in skillet. Add onions and saute until translucent and fragrant, approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic, sauté for 1 minute. Add carrots and sauté for 5 more minutes. Transfer entire contents of skillet to slow cooker.
- Optional: Deglaze pan with wine and add to slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients to slow cooker except mushrooms, pearl onions and parsley. Turn slow cooker to low cooking setting. Cook for 6-7 hours.
- Add mushrooms and pearl onions. Season. Turn cooking setting to high and allow to cook for 1 hour.
- Season to taste and transfer to serving dishes. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.