Prep 5 mins
Cook 55 mins
The original Top Secret Recipes' version, like the real thing, tastes pretty good, but is just too sweet for our taste. This version is still sweet, but it's toned down a little. Omit the brown sugar if you want to tone the sweetness down a little more, but don't omit the molasses. It's needed for flavor.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white wine or 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke, to taste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk until smooth, which will probably take a lot of whisking to get the tomato paste mixed in. Bring the mixture to a boil; reduce heat to low; and simmer, uncovered, for about 50-60 minutes or until the mixture is thick, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and add more Worcestershire and/or liquid smoke if desired.
- Cool, then store in a covered container in the refrigerator to allow flavors to develop.
- This sauce will keep for months in the refrigerator.
- The recipe doubles or triples very well, so make a BIG batch, and keep it in the fridge all the time.