Recipe by Amy DuRay
This is basically a baked sandwich. It's easy to prepare ahead of time and pop in the oven an hour before dinner.
Top Review by Lorac
The ultimate comfort food! The good news is that my package of ground beef was over a pound so I doubled the beef mixture and the cheese - more to eat! I also ignored your healthy low fat ingredients and used full fat cheese, milk and whole eggs. The only thing I really changed was to omit the sugar. I think next time, if I use the extra meat and cheese, I will double the egg milk mixture. The results - a big baked sandwich with a crunchy toast top, a cheesey, savory beef filling and an eggy toast bottom. While it was relatively cool in Phoenix today (below 100°F), I couldn't help thinking, what a perfect dish this would have been back in Mass. on a cold winter night. I can picture sittting in front of the fireplace having my "soul" warmed by your "Toasty Cheese Bake". Thank you Amy, for this wonderfull recipe!
- 8 slices wheat or 8 slices white bread
- 1⁄2 lb ground venison, buffalo,elk or 1⁄2 lb beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded sharp low-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 egg whites, beaten slightly
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast bread in a toaster.
- Cook meat, onion, celery, prepared mustard and 1 t.
- salt until meat is browned and onion tender.
- Alternate layers of toast, meat and cheese in a sprayed 9x9" baking pan.
- Mix remaining ingredients.
- Pour over layers in pan.
- Bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes.
- Makes 4 to 6 servings.