Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this online from Smitten Kitchen by way of King Aurthur flour. There were a few changes I made due to the use of whole wheat flour and the layout of the recipe was kinda hard to follow. The finished product is a lovely toaster pastry without all the nasty chemicals in the brand name version! Plus you can make whatever flavor you wish, such as pumpkin, Nutella, grape, where ever your imagination and taste buds take you. The filling recipes are for 9 pastries so increase the amount if you want all one flavor.
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups butter (4 sticks)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 -4 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup jam (any flavor)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 9 tablespoons chocolate hazelnut spread or 9 tablespoons miniature marshmallows
- Make the dough:.
- whisk together flour sugar and salt.
- work in butter until there are pea sized lumps.
- whisk the egg and milk together then add it to the dry ingredients.
- Combine all ingredients until they just come together add more milk if needed.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts, wrap in plastic and let chill in the refrigerator. You can roll it out right away but it will be easier to work with if you let it sit for 30 minute.While dough is resting make fillings.
- Jam filling:.
- Mix jam and cornstarch in a small pot.
- heat over medium heat until bubbly.
- let cool.
- Cinnamon filling:.
- mix flour, sugar, cinnamon together.
- Assemble pastry:.
- On a well floured surface, roll out one ball in 1/8 inch think in a rectangular shape. Use a pizza cutter to trim the edges then divide into 8 rectangles about 3x4inches.
- Brush beaten egg onto 4 rectangles.
- place 1 tablespoon onto egg brushed side.
- Cover with another rectangle and finger press together.
- using a fork crimp edges and poke hole in top to allow steam to escape.
- Repeat with all of your dough.
- Chill pastry while your over preheats to 350.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
- let cool on rack.
- you can use your trimmings for more nuggets of goodness if you coat them in cinnamon sugar and bake them with your pastries.