1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Chef #355506's Note:
I found this online from Smitten Kitchen by way of King Aurthur flour. There were a few changes I made due to the use of whole wheat flour and the layout of the recipe was kinda hard to follow. The finished product is a lovely toaster pastry without all the nasty chemicals in the brand name version! Plus you can make whatever flavor you wish, such as pumpkin, Nutella, grape, where ever your imagination and taste buds take you. The filling recipes are for 9 pastries so increase the amount if you want all one flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups butter (4 sticks)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 -4 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup jam (any flavor)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 9 tablespoons chocolate hazelnut spread or 9 tablespoons miniature marshmallows
- 1Make the dough:.
- 2whisk together flour sugar and salt.
- 3work in butter until there are pea sized lumps.
- 4whisk the egg and milk together then add it to the dry ingredients.
- 5Combine all ingredients until they just come together add more milk if needed.
- 6Divide the dough into 4 equal parts, wrap in plastic and let chill in the refrigerator. You can roll it out right away but it will be easier to work with if you let it sit for 30 minute.While dough is resting make fillings.
- 7Jam filling:.
- 8Mix jam and cornstarch in a small pot.
- 9heat over medium heat until bubbly.
- 10let cool.
- 11Cinnamon filling:.
- 12mix flour, sugar, cinnamon together.
- 13Assemble pastry:.
- 14On a well floured surface, roll out one ball in 1/8 inch think in a rectangular shape. Use a pizza cutter to trim the edges then divide into 8 rectangles about 3x4inches.
- 15Brush beaten egg onto 4 rectangles.
- 16place 1 tablespoon onto egg brushed side.
- 17Cover with another rectangle and finger press together.
- 18using a fork crimp edges and poke hole in top to allow steam to escape.
- 19Repeat with all of your dough.
- 20Chill pastry while your over preheats to 350.
- 21Bake 20-25 minutes.
- 22let cool on rack.
- 23you can use your trimmings for more nuggets of goodness if you coat them in cinnamon sugar and bake them with your pastries.
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Toaster Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 455.4
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 101.0 mg
- Sodium 481.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 21.3 g
- Protein 6.3 g