Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 mins
I had this salad at one of my favorite restaurants. I couldn't figure out the secret until I toasted the walnuts. This salad blends all the flavors together well, it is a great side to just about anything. Easy to put together and chill while you cook other things. If you don't have raspberry vinaigrette, try with Five Star House Salad Dressing.
- 1 (5 ounce) bag mixed baby lettuces and spring greens (baby greens)
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin orange segments (drained)
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 4 ounces crumbled gorgonzola or 4 ounces blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- raspberry vinaigrette dressing
- Melt butter in a sauce pan.
- Stir in walnut pieces and coat with butter.
- Stir for 4 minutes and remove from pan and set aside.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Toss greens, mandarin orange segments and crumbled cheese.
- Toss with toasted walnuts and serve with raspberry vinaigrette salad dressing.
This is a delicious salad. I've made it twice now--once with romaine, green-leaf and butter lettuces topped with Recipe #23478, and another time with baby spinach and baby spring mix topped with Recipe #176952. I usually toast nuts dry, either in a skillet or in the oven, and toasting the walnuts in butter was a nice touch. I love mandarin oranges, and I like that this salad has a lot of them. :) Both times I've made it, I was only making it to serve two, so I pretty well just eyeballed ingredient amounts. Great salad--thanks for posting!
I must have read for hours here before I found what I was looking for - trying to replicate a salad I had at a dinner party recently - and this was dead on. I could eat nothing but this salad and be happy! I was pressed for time so I bought glazed walnut pieces rather than toasting them myself - adds some extra sweetness that I really liked but I'll try it your way when I have more time. Thanks!
I can't wait to try this for one of my clients. Helen