Recipe by COOKGIRl
From www.walnuts.org website.
Top Review by UmmBinat
This is so good. A nice light change from the typical too garlicy hummus!!! Not sure if my Walnuts were Californian. I used unrefined extra virgin olive oil as I didn't have walnut oil on hand, Oasis orange juice, sea salt, to taste, and freshly ground pepper, to taste. DD (toddler) and I enjoyed this as a part of breakfast with rice crackers and celery sticks. I would make this again. Made for Veggie Swap 33 ~ April ~ 2011.
- 1⁄2 cup california walnut
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, quartered
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (**reserve** the garbanzo bean liquid)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Dry roast the walnuts in a cast iron skillet on medium heat for about 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant. DO NOT burn. Set aside and cool to room temperature.
- Combine toasted walnuts with the walnut oil and garlic cloves and puree in blender until smooth.
- Add chickpeas, orange zest, orange juice, salt and pepper and continue to blend to a smooth consistency. Add some of the reserved garbanzo bean liquid if you think it's necessary for thorough blending and also for the consistency you prefer. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Transfer hummus to a serving bowl. Serve with pita bread, tortillas, sliced French bread, cut up vegetables, etc.