Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 mins
This warm toasted sandwich is a mix of warm melted cheese and tuna that derives its flavor from the chipotle pepper. Adjust the amount of peppers to your own heat preference. *The mayo on this recipe was edited on June 28, 2011 from 1 TBS to 1-3 TBS depending on taste.
- 6 ounces tuna in water
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 -2 chipotle pepper, minced
- 1 roasted garlic clove, minced
- 1 -3 tablespoon mayonnaise, depending on your taste
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 whole grain sandwich rolls
- 1⁄2 cup arugula
- Pre heat broiler.
- In bowl mix tuna, green onions, chipotle peppers, roasted garlic, mayonnaise, and cheese.
- Slice rolls in half-length wise and divide tuna mixture, being sure to spread out evenly.
- Broil 3 to 5 minutes. Cheese should be melted and edges of bread toasted.
- Put 1/4 cup arugula on two of the halves and top each with remaining two halves.
- Enjoy while still nice and warm.
While I enjoyed the spicy flavors & lower calorie options I felt the recipe needed more mayo to hold the mixture together. I made the sandwiches and wrapped individually in foil to pop in the oven. The buns were crisp & the center melted. I then added crisp lettuce & sliced tomatoes. Made for ZWT7.
This made a quick Friday night dinner served with sweet potato fries. I assume that the recipe calls for 1/4 cup of cheese. The mixture did require about 3 tablespoons of mayo to make it moist enough for our taste. I used gluten free multi-grain bread for the sandwiches. Made for Dinner and a Movie Part II during ZWT7.
What a yummy sandwich! Great lunchtime comfort food for a cool day. I love the kick it gets from the chipotle, a really nice flavor change from the usual tuna melt sandwich. I stuck with the original 1 tablespoon of mayo, as I like the sandwich to be more about the fish than anything else. It was just enough to hold the filling together, which for me was perfect. The green onions added a nice crunch, as well as great flavor. I skipped the arugala, as I don't really care for it. Overall, a really nice sandwich, and one I'd be happy to make again!