Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A recipe from Gary Rhodes. I made this for my MIL's birthday dinner and everyone loved it. Amounts can easily be adjusted depending on number of servings. This makes a light starter or appetiser.
- 6 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch)
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 3 large tomatoes
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 ounces Stilton cheese, crumbled (or any other blue cheese of choice)
- balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Toast the bread slices under the grill/broiler (on both sides)until nicely browned.
- Drizzle each slice with a bit of olive oil and place one slice each on a small serving dish.
- Make two thick slices (1/2 inch)from each tomato.
- Place slices on an oiled and seasoned baking tray.
- Season the tops of the tomatoes with the salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil and place under the grill.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes until they begin to soften. At this point, sprinkle the crumbled Stilton over the tomatoes and return to the grill until it begins to melt and bubble over the tomatoes.
- Arrange the tomatoes on the bread slices, scatter over the rocket leaves and drizzle with more olive oil and a few drops of balsamic vinegar, if using.
- Serve and enjoy!