Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This open-faced sandwich makes a hearty meal when served with soup
- 1 tablespoon Land o' Lakes Butter
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesliced fresh mushrooms
- 8 slices vienna bread (3/4-inch thick)
- 1⁄4 cup honey mustard
- 1⁄2 lb shaved deli Alpine Lace 97% reduced-fat cooked ham or 1⁄2 lb shaved deli 98% fat-free honey ham
- 4 slices deli Alpine Lace reduced-fat swiss cheese, cut in half
- Melt butter until sizzling in 10-inch skillet; add mushrooms.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender (3 to 5 minutes).
- Heat broiler.
- Place bread slices onto ungreased baking sheet.
- Broil 5 to 6 inches from heat, turning once, until bread is lightly browned (2 to 3 minutes).
- To assemble sandwiches, spread each bread slice with 1/2 tablespoon honey mustard.
- Divide mushrooms and ham among bread slices; top each with 1/2 slice cheese.
- Continue broiling until cheese is melted (1 to 2 minutes).
- Serve immediately.
I did not use the mushrooms, although I really wanted to -- dinner is heavy on the mushrooms tonight so I thought it best to leave them out at lunch. I will use them next time! I also didn't use the particular Alpine brand, just what I bought at the supermarket. I don't think the brand matters, as these were superb! Very easy to make and the taste was quite delicious! DS particularly liked them and asked that I make them again. I also didn't broil, as I have a gas oven -- so I just shot the heat way up and that worked just fine.
This was tasty however the cheese stuck to the roof of my mouth *G* I think maybe i will use my sandwich maker and just make it a toasted sandwich instead of an open faced sandwich