Toasted Steakhouse Sandwich
Optional Au Jus Dipping Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 (1 ounce) packet au jus mix
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
Secret Sandwich Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup prepared alfredo sauce
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 dash onion salt or 1 dash garlic salt
- 1 loaf bakery French bread
- 3⁄4 lb thin-sliced deli roast beef
- 1⁄2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- Prepare the au jus dipping sauce: Melt butter in saucepan; saute onions until tender; add flour and stir; add contents of gravy mix packet then gradually whisk in water; allow to simmer while you make the sandwich.
- Prepare the "secret" sauce: Stir together alfredo sauce, mayonnaise, and your choice of onion salt or garlic salt; slice french bread with one horizontal slice to make a top and a bottom half; spread "secret" sauce evenly over both pieces of sliced bread.
- Place the prepared sandwich halves (open-faced) upon a baking sheet under the oven broiler for about 1 minute until the sauce is bubbly and the edges of the bread barely start to brown; remove from oven.
- Arrange thin sliced roast beef over both sandwich halves then sprinkle evenly with shredded cheeses; broil for another minute (still open-faced) until cheese is bubbly all over and starting to brown; remove from oven.
- Put sandwich halves together and return to oven to lightly toast (very, very briefly only) top and bottom of sandwich; remove from oven and slice sandwich into 5 even servings; provide 1/3 cup au jus with each serving.
- NOTE: I usually make this sandwich using one large loaf of bakery french bread ~ You could go with smaller baguette buns if you want yours to taste AND look like the Quiznos Steakhouse Dip Sandwich.