1 hr 30 mins
My friend's favorite ice cream is Zen Butter from Chinatown Ice Cream Factory in New York. Unfortunately we live in California and they won't ship cross country, so I thought I'd take a stab at it. I just made this recipe up without trying it, so I'll see how close it is this weekend when we freeze it and she tastes it. Cooking time is time in my Ice Cream Machine (Low-tech bucket style). Edit: Well I guess it doesn't taste like the zen butter....maybe too much peanut butter? But the ice cream came out really tasty in its own way...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Toast Sesame Seeds in a saute pan on medium-low heat or on a cookie sheet in the oven until seeds begin to brown and smell toasty (remember to constantly shake them -- they burn quick!
- 2In a spice grinder or small food processor, grind the toasted Sesame Seeds with the Salt until they are a fine meal. If you continue to process them, it will make sesame butter and will make clean up that much harder.
- 3In a large saucepan, scald Half & Half, Milk and Cream. Add ground Sesame Seeds and simmer on low for 10 minutes. Kill the heat and let steep for 10 to 20 minutes. The cream mixture should taste strongly of sesame seeds.
- 4While Cream is steeping, whisk together Egg Yolks with the Sugar until pale and fluffy. Whisk in Vanilla.
- 5Temper the Egg Yolks by gradually adding hot Cream into the bowl, whisking constantly (add at least half of the hot cream). Pour the Egg mixture back into the sauce pan with the remaining cream and whisk in the Peanut Butter.
- 6Cook on low, CONSTANTLY stirring the mixture with a high-temp rubber spatula or wooden spoon. When the custard is thick enough to hold a clean line on the back of your spoon, pour through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container, pressing out any juice from the left over seeds/peanuts.
- 7Cool for several hours or overnight.
- 8Stir up mixture and freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Toasted Sesame & Peanut Butter Ice Cream
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 512.1
- Calories from Fat 374
- Total Fat 41.5 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 296.9 mg
- Sodium 180.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 19.7 g
- Protein 9.6 g