1/1 Photo of Toasted Sandwiches Indian Style
This is one of my favourite snacks at the weekends. The recipe is simple, quick, tasty and spicy just as I like it. I used a sandwich toaster for making these but you can use the filling in paninis and even in simple sandwiches.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 potatoes, medium size diced as small as you can
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, I used the ones with more peas, carrots and sweet corn
- bread, 1 loaf of medium sliced
- 250 g butter or 250 g margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- fresh chili pepper, 2-3 finely chopped (or not if you do not like hot stuff)
- 1 onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- coriander, washed and chopped
- 1Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds.
- 2Once they finish popping - add the diced potatoes and stir them well.
- 3Add the spices - salt, chilly powder, turmeric, green chillies, sugar and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- 4Now add the frozen vegetables and allow them to cook. If you cook this mixture gently with the lid on - you shouldn't need to add any water to the mixture.
- 5Once the vegetables soften - it didn't take too long for mine about 10 minutes- add the sugar, lemon juice and coriander and allow the mixture to cool by transferring it to a wide dish.
- 6Now mix in the finely chopped onions. The mixture can now be used for filling pita bread, paninis or sandwiches.
- 7Switch on the sandwich maker.
- 8Butter 2 slices of bread using either butter or margarine and turn them over. My sandwich mixer requires the bread to be buttered on one side and the mixture to be topped up on the other side.
- 9Add the sandwich filling between the two slices of bread and cook them in the sandwich toaster.
- 10Continue making all the sandwiches in the sandwich maker.
- 11Serve them with any chutneys or dips or ketchup.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Toasted Sandwiches Indian Style
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 645.1
- Calories from Fat 493
- Total Fat 54.8 g
- Saturated Fat 32.5 g
- Cholesterol 133.5 mg
- Sodium 1005.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 6.7 g