Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Sweet onion slices sink into melty aged sharp cheddar.
- 2 slices bread, your choice
- 2 -3 slices sweet onions, very thin slices (walla walla type, more if you wish)
- 2 -3 ounces of aged sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
- butter or margarine, to spread
- fresh ground pepper
- Toast bread slices fairly crisp.
- Butter toast on both sides, lay cheese slices on toast, add onion slices over cheese, grind pepper over onions.
- Lay more cheese slices over onion.
- Place second piece of toast on top and squish down.
- Place on a cookie sheet under oven broiler, about 5 or 6 inches from heat.
- Turn over when that side is golden and the cheese has started to melt.
- Leave under broiler until the second side is golden and the cheese is ooozing out of sides.
- Place on a luncheon plate, cut in two and enjoy!
Akll my grilled cheese sandwiches will have onions in them from now on--a little thing, but makes a big difference!
Gosh, I never thought of this as a recipe. I have been making this for years. The only thing I do different is I pan fry it like a grill cheese sandwich. Next time I will try it in the oven. Thanks for such an easy and great tasting recipe.
This was very good! Easy too. Thanks!