Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
An easy to put together soup, very tasty.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, may triple
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 6 cups vegetable stock or 6 cups canned broth
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place rice in a shallow baking pan and toast, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, salt, nutmeg, cayenne, vegetable stock, and rice and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender, about 12 minutes.
- Stir in spinach, parmesan cheese, and lemon zest, simmer until spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes longer, and serve.
I found this soup recipe on the internet and made it awhile ago. Terrific and healthy!! I loved the hearty taste of the toasted rice and the addition of the parmesan cheese.