Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Great dish- gluten free to serve as a side or beneath a grilled salmon steak or a grilled chicken breast piece. Similar to a cous cous salad. If gluten free- ensure GF tamari or soy sauce is used Serves 2 as a main with some salmon or chicken, or 4 as a side serve. Editted to add- this recipe is from http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/food/freshtv/785505/salmon-with-toasted-quinoa-salad- with regards to the name- there is no actual toasting of the quinoa done. I think the name is just in reference to the colour of the dish perhaps
- 177.44 ml uncooked quinoa
- 118.29 ml carrot, grated
- 118.29 ml red capsicum, chopped
- 59.14 ml parsley, chopped
- 59.14 ml coriander, chopped
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 14.79 ml lemon juice or 14.79 ml other citrus juice
- 14.79 ml tamari soy sauce or 14.79 ml soy sauce
- 4.92 ml fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 4.92 ml fresh chili pepper
- Rinse quinoa and drain (as you would with rice). Place in small saucepan with 1½-2 cups of water.
- Bring to the boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer (12-15 minutes) until tender and all water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool.
- Mix carrot, capsicum, parsley, coriander and Spanish onion in large bowl. Add cold quinoa and toss to combine. Whisk together citrus juice, tamari, ginger, garlic and chili. Pour over salad and combine well.
This is my type of recipe. I love to eat whole grains. The only change I made was to add a touch of honey to balance out the lemon juice.
This was my first time using quinoa grain (have used the flakes once) and WOW what an experience. Not sure if it came out right as it was not a very individual grain but a little gluggy, I used 2 full cups and it was completly absorbed in 14 minutes but the taste was fantastic. I made a full recipe and we each had a quarter and the DM has claimed left overs for her lunch tomorrow, a big plus getting her to eat vegies and something really healthy and to thoroughly enjoy. Will definately be using quinoa more but maybe cut back the liquid to see what results I get but as was definately made easy eating for the DM. Thank you **Jubes**, made for Make My Recipe - Edition 15.
Delicous and colourful salad. Made for Aussie Kiwi Swap, Dec 2010