1/2 Photos of Toasted Quinoa (Or Barley) Pilaf
Chef Kate's Note:
From Connie Guttersen's "Sonoma Diet," this is a very delicious, very healthy side dish with no saturated fat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced (1 tablespoon minced)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups quinoa (or barley)
- 3 cups sodium-free chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup roasted red pepper, diced
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1In a large saucepan, cook shallots and garlic in hot oil over medium heat until tender.
- 2Carefully stir in quinoa or barley.
- 3Cook and stir about 5 minutes or until quinoa or barley is golden brown.
- 4Carefully stir in broth, thyme, and bay leaf and bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- 5Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender and fluffy (cook barley about 10 minutes or until tender and liquid is absorbed).
- 6Discard bay leaf.
- 7Gently stir in roasted peppers.
- 8Season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Toasted Quinoa (Or Barley) Pilaf
Serving Size: 1 (44 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 119.8
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 161.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sodium-free chicken broth