Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Everyday Italian.
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) sliced poundcake, cut crosswise into 12 slices
- 3⁄4 cup apricot preserves
- 3 tablespoons almond flavored liqueur (recommended ( Amaretto)
- 2⁄3 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the pound cake slices on a large heavy baking sheet and toast in oven for 7 to 10 minutes until the slices turn golden brown. Alternatively, toast the pound cake slices in an electric toaster until golden.
- Stir the apricot preserves and amaretto in a small bowl to blend.
- Place 1 cake slice atop each of 6 plates. Spoon the mascarpone cheese atop the cake slices. Arrange the remaining cake slices offset atop the bottom cake slices. Spoon the apricot mixture over. Sprinkle with the almonds and serve immediately.
While I didn't make your recipe exactly, the toasted pound cake idea & my Tex-Mex roots inspired me to make a spectacular strawberry margarita variation. I mixed 1/2 cup strawberry preserves w/8 oz cream cheese & 2 packets of Holland House Margarita Instant Drink Mix (non-alcoholic). Then I generously put that mixture over the pound cake w/a couple fresh strawberries on the side. I was in heaven!
Delicious! We had last minute "important" company, I was talking to the chef when they were announced and did we race around. We served it just as posted except that we chopped up half of the nuts and mixed with the mascrpone and then garnished with the remaining almonds. It was enjoyed by all those who tasted it. Thank you so much for posting, that is my kind of dessert. Diane