Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Cooking Light, August 2009. It took me this long to get around to trying it.....too busy cooking Zaar recipes! Cook time includes cooking time and standing time!
- 12 inches pita bread, split in half horizontally
- 3 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups English cucumbers, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup marjoram, chopped (may use oregano for a stronger taste)
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place pitas on a biking sheet; bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until crisp. Cool completely. Break into small pieces.
- Combine tomato and next 4 ingredients (through parsley) in a large bowl.
- Combine lime juice and remaining ingredients in a small bowl and stir with a whisk. Pour juice mixture over tomato mixture; toss gently.
- Add pita pieces to bowl; toss gently.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This is a nice refreshing salad. I used less cumin because it's not my favorite spice. But other than that followed the recipe as written. It's good with the toasted pita. Thanks breezermom :) Made for Photo tag game
This is a terrific and flavorful salad! I don't care for raw onion so left it out. Just loved the dressing on this, a perfect pairing with the veggies and herbs. I overcooked my pitas a bit (make sure to watch them) but it was still great. Loved this - thanks for sharing the recipe!
Excellent recipe. I did make some substitutions to use what I had on hand. I replaced the cucumber with fresh zucchini and used 1/2 of the cumin and subed oregano for the marjoram. Also increased the honey to suit our taste. Just a beautiful combination of flavors. One that will be made again this summer. Thanks for sharing.