Toasted Orzo With Peas and Parmesan
- Heat butter in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until onion has softened and is beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add orzo and cook, stirring frequently, until most of orzo is lightly browned and golden, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add vermouth and chicken broth.
- Go back to medium-high heat and bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until all liquid has been absorbed and orzo is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Gently stir in peas, cheese, nutmeg, and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and let it stand until peas are heated through, about 2 minutes.