Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 3 cups canned chicken broth
- 6 scallions
- 6 large button mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- salt and pepper
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in medium saucepan.
- Add orzo and stir until pasta is toasted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add broth, bring to a boil and cook pasta until done; drain.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a sauté pan.
- Add scallions and mushrooms and cook until crisp-tender.
- Add pine nuts, salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the cooked orzo and fresh parsley, and heat through.
I thought the recipe was very good. However, it lacked a little zip so I added 2 tablespoons of drained capers and it did the trick. Yummy! I agree that you could use less butter for health sake without losing much flavor but I use the full amount for special occasions.
What can I say? Next time I can only fix half the recipe so I will only eat half as much. Wonderful! I toasted the pine nuts and next time I will reduce the butter in an effort not to have so much at one sitting. In my defense, I did use the plant based "butter".
This was great! I altered the recipe for 2 servings and then added about 3 Tblsp. more orzo and then didn't have to drain the broth it just thickened into the orzo. I didn't have pine nuts, so I toasted slivered almonds. This is a keeper. Great for a potluck. Thanks!