Recipe by design*girl
Serve with your favorite scone topping. Can be made in advance and store in air-tight container.
- 1 1⁄4 cups quick-cooking oats, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, cut up
- 1⁄2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place oats on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450°F for 3 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring once. Cool completely.
- Combine 1 cup toasted oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, baking soda; cut in 1/4 cup butter with a pastry blender until crumbly. Add dried cranberries; toss well.
- Add buttermilk, applesauce, and vanilla, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times. Pat dough into a 9-inch circle on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush with 2 teaspoons melted butter; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup toasted oats and 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Bake at 450°F for 11 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.