Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Wonderful homemade artisan bread
- 5 1⁄2 cups whole wheat bread flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 ounce active dry yeast (2 pkgs)
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup light margarine
- 3 tablespoons egg whites
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon rolled oats
- Toast oats: Spread oats on 15X10-inch pan; place in 375 degrees oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until light brown.
- In large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, rolled oats, sugar, salt and yeast; blend well.
- In small saucepan, heat milk and margarine until very warm. Add warm liquid and egg white to flour mixture.
- Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Stir in 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 cups flour until dough pulls cleanly away from sides of bowl.
- On floured surface, knead in 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place dough in greased bowl; cover loosely with saran wrap and cloth towel.
- Let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Punch down dough several times to remove all air bubbles.
- Divide dough in half; shape into balls. Allow to rest on counter covered with inverted bowl for 15 minutes.
- Shape into 2 loaves by rolling dough into two 14x7-inch rectangles. Starting with shorter side, roll up; pinch edges firmly to seal. Place seam-side- down on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Cover; let rise in warm place 35 to 45 minutes. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In small bowl, combine water and egg white; beat slightly. Carefully brush on loaves; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon rolled oats.
- Bake 25 minutes, cover with foil, and bake 10 minutes more until loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped.
- Ccool on wire racks.