Butter poached halibut, satsuma orange, grilled mushroom, flowering herbs, toasted barley and oats. This recipe is a part of the Kitchensurfing "spring tasting" menu: www.kitchensurfing.com/menus/spring-tasting-533d8c9ecfa7779c3d000002.
- Bring barley, stock and salt to a boil in a medium pot.
- Reduce heat, and cook at a simmer for 20 minutes or until done.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy bottom pan, add oats, thyme, pepper and butter. Toast to a light brown, then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Strain and cool barley after it is cooked.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add toasted oats and barley to a mixing bowl. Add sugar and egg whites.
- Mix gently to create a sandy consistency.
- Bake on parchment or non-stick mat.
- While baking, stir the cooking mixture every 5-7 minutes. Bake until the mixture is golden and appears dry, about 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool and break apart as desired. Season with salt as desired.