Recipe by Gerry
One of our favorites from my mom's recipe collection, one that is a real crowd pleaser. A long time favorite that has them coming back for seconds and makes for recipe requests.
Top Review by pattik2478
I'm pretty sure this is the same cake my Mom used to make and called it Moroccan Cake!! She said my grandma used to make it probably back in the 30's!! Such a wonderful cake!! Thanks for posting it I thought I'd never find it!!
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar (packed)
- 2 egg yolks (save whites in separate bowl for the meringue)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour milk (directions for souring milk included in recipe)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- If you do not have sour milk - put 1 1/4 tablespoons vinegar in cup and fill with milk, place the cup of milk in small bowl adding the remaining 1/4 cup of milk, let stand for several minutes to sour.
- Cream butter and brown sugar, add egg yolks and vanilla mixing well.
- In large bowl flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt and whisk together to blend.
- Dissolve baking soda in sour milk, adding the sour milk and dry ingredients alternately to batter and mix well.
- Spread into a 9x 13 pan.
- Make meringue - beat egg whites until stiff, gradually add the brown sugar, continue beating until nice and smooth, Spread over cake batter, sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes.