Recipe by Ninna
I first made this nearly thirty years ago for an Italian dinner party, I was to take the dessert that night and it was a great success. I just found it again when I was browsing my old cook books and decided to post for safe keeping. This one comes from Australian Woman's Weekly Dinner Party Cookbook. Freezing is not included in preparation time.
- 1⁄2 cup mixed glace fruit, chopped
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 300 ml cream
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 125 g dark chocolate
- 15 g butter
- 2 liters vanilla ice cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- 60 g almonds, slivered
- 60 g coconut biscuits
- 300 ml cream, extra
Directions See How It's Made
- Line base of 20cm (8") springform pan with aluminium foil.
- Combine glace fruit and brandy, mix well, let stand 10 minutes.
- Whip cream and sugar until thick, fold in fruit and brandy, spread cream mixture over base of springform pan, freeze.
- Put chopped chocolate and butter in top of double saucepan, stir over gently-simmering water until melted; cool.
- Combine half the softened ice-cream and vanilla, add approximately half a cup of this ice-cream to melted chocolate mixture, mix well and add chocolate mixture to ice-cream, mix well; the melted chocolate gives the ice-cream a "chocolate chip" texture.
- Stir in sifted cocoa, mix well; spread chocolate ice-cream over cream layer; freeze.
- Spread remaining half-softened ice-cream over chocolate layer.
- Place almonds in moderate oven 5 minutes or until light golden brown; crush coconut biscuits lightly; sprinkle combined biscuits crumbs and almonds over top of cassata; press crumbs and almonds lightly into ice-cream; freeze until firm.
- Pipe extra whipped cream decoratively around top.